Skip to content Skip to navigation

Important Information Regarding COVID-19

For quickest response to an issue, please submit a ServiceNow Ticket to the Student Services Center. If you prefer to talk to an SSC Specialist, we offer advising sessions via Zoom by appointment. SSC specialists are also available for live chat from LiveChat Monday – Friday, 12:00 – 4:00 p.m. via the Service Now portal.

Latest information about the University's response to COVID-19 • Academic questions are extensively answered in the TeachAnywhere FAQ • Latest updates for: UndergraduatesGrad Students and Postdocs

See the Registrar's COVID-19 and Academic Continuity page for information for students, faculty, and staff relevant to classes and academic activities and administration. (updated August 21, 2020)

Additional Graduate Forms

Student forms submitted to the Registrar's Office or the Student Services Center are now housed in the new Stanford eForms platform. Both new electronic forms and existing pdf forms are now housed there.

Admissions and Reinstatement

International students seeking forms for I-20, DS-2019, or SEVIS Transfer-in purposes should consult the Graduate Admissions International Forms site.

Application for Reinstatement in Graduate Study
If you are an admitted graduate student who has not maintained continuous registration (and has not been on an approved leave of absence), you must apply for reinstatement. After completing this form, submit it to your department for approval and then submit it to Graduate Admissions. If approved for reinstatement you will be billed for the reinstatement fee.

Course Enrollment Change Petition
This form is for graduate students who have been discontinued in the current term and are requesting a late study list after the final study list deadline. This form requires a personal statement explaining the reasons for the request.

Statement of Purpose

Graduate Study and Programs

Program Proposal for a Master's Degree 
(Submit this form to your department.) Proposal form for M.A., M.F.A., M.A.T., or M.S. students.

Joint Degree Student Checklist
Students use the Joint Degree Program Student Checklist as guide to plan a joint degree program. The form is for student use, and does not need to be submitted to the University.

Exchange Programs

For UC students

Stanford students seeking to apply for an exchange program at UC Berkeley, UCSF, or UCSC should go to the eForms portal via Axess.

Application for Exchange Program at Stanford for UC Berkeley or UC San Francisco Students
For UC Berkeley or UC San Francisco graduate students who wish to enroll in Stanford courses.

Application for Exchange Program at Stanford for UC Santa Cruz Students
For UC Santa Cruz graduate students who wish to enroll in Stanford courses.

For Stanford Doctoral Students

Stanford doctoral students who wish to participate in the the Ivy Plus Exchange Program with other Ivy Plus schools should submit this completed application to your department who should then submit the approved form to Graduate Admissions.

Ivy Plus Exchange Program Application


Application for Extension of Candidacy or Master's Program 
(Submit this form to your department.)If your candidacy or master's program has expired, this form should be completed and submitted to your department for approval.

Application for Candidacy for Degree of Engineer 
(Submit this form to your department.)Must be submitted by candidates for Engineer degree by the end of the second quarter in the program (fourth quarter for Honors Cooperative students).

Application for Candidacy for Doctoral Degree 
(Submit this form to your department.)Students are expected to be admitted for candidacy by the end of the second year of doctoral study. This form should be completed and submitted to your department for approval.


See the Registrar's Dissertation and Thesis Submission page for more information on dissertation submission.

Doctoral Dissertation Reading Committee Form 
(Submit this form to your department.)Submitted by the student to initiate the department appointment of a Doctoral Dissertation Reading Committee.

Petition for Non-Academic Council Doctoral Committee Members 
(Submit this form to your department.)This petition is to be submitted to the department to request approval for doctoral dissertation reading committee and/or University oral examination committee members who are not members of the Stanford Academic Council.

Change of Adviser or Reading Committee Member 
(Submit this form to your department.)If changes are made in your reading committee, this form must be submitted to your department and approved by the chair.

Doctoral Dissertation Agreement Form 
This form authorizes online publication of your doctoral dissertation and the separate abstract through ProQuest. This form is only for doctoral students who choose to submit their dissertation via the paper process.

Oral Examinations

University Oral Examination Form
(Submit this form to your department.)Once the examiners, date, and time for your oral examination have been established, this form must be submitted to your department for approval two weeks prior to the proposed date of your examination.