Automated Graduate Program Authorization Petition
Jump to: Set up approver • Submit a Decision • Track Your Grad Auths • Grad Auth Process • Effective Dates for Program Changes • Milestone Updates • Frequently Asked Questions
The Graduate Program Authorization (“Grad Auth”) petition is submitted through Axess by graduate and professional students in order to request a new degree program or to request a change of degree programs. There is a $125 application fee to submit the Grad Auth petition. Students should refer to the Graduate Program Authorization Petition Page for information regarding eligibility and instructions on submitting a petition. Download staff training material for the online Grad Auth petition (pdf)
To be set up as an approver
All academic organizations that grant graduate degrees have been set up with approvers. Granting staff approver status is a two part process:
- You must be granted the SR_GRAD_AUTH security role by the PeopleSoft Authority Manager in your school.
- You must be set up for your academic organization in STF Notification Setup panel in PeopleSoft.
To submit a decision for a grad auth petition
If you are set up as an approver, an email informs you when a petition has been submitted and is in your PeopleSoft worklist.
Open your Worklist from your Menu. The PeopleSoft path is: Home > Worklist > Worklist
Open the link for the petition you wish to review. The “From” area lists the name of the student who submitted, or it lists the previous approver if there was one. The link opens the student’s petition, including the student’s current and requested new programs. The approval section is at the bottom.
The petition is first routed to the approvers in the student’s active programs. Then, it is routed to the new department. If the departments are the same, only one approval is required. Finally, it is routed to Bechtel if the student is international.
Enter Approval Action and Comments. Please review the student record and proposed program to ensure that the request is not a duplicate/already approved Grad Auth or that the student has not already been accepted into the new program via Graduate Admissions. Below is a detailed list of available decision actions:
Decision Action Options
- Approve – When the approver selects this option and clicks on Save, an email will be sent to the student and next approver with comments, and the petition is moved to the worklist of the next approver. If it is the last approval, the data is loaded into PeopleSoft in the Student Program/Plan.
- In Progress – When the approver selects this option and clicks Save, an email is sent to the student that the approver is reviewing the petition request, and comments are included. The student can view, but cannot edit, a petition when it is In Progress.
- Return– When the approver selects this option and clicks Save, an email is sent to the student. The student will be able to edit the petition (by navigating through the same path as the original request) and resubmit. The student must resubmit the petition for it to return to the approver’s worklist.
- Deny – When the approver selects this option and clicks Save, an email notification is sent to the student with the comments. The student will not be able to edit the request. A new request has to be submitted if required.
- Comments – You may enter any comments or leave blank. They are included in all emails to students.
Transaction is complete. If the petition is approved by all required approvers, the new program changes will be added to the Student Program/Plan in PeopleSoft. The $125 grad auth fee will appear on the student bill approximately 4 weeks after the final approval date (please see Grad Auth Fees and Fee Waivers for more information). If the department wishes to waive the grad auth fee, they may request this fee waiver by submitting the Waive Grad Auth Fee support request in Service Now.
A note about program change effective dates:
- Adding a new program: the effective start date of the new program will be the same date that the grad auth was approved.
- Discontinuing a program: the effective date will be the last day of that quarter (not the date that the grad auth was approved). This prevents courses from being inadvertently dropped.
- Sorting and filtering the Worklist
- The Worklist can be sorted by clicking on any of the headers. For instance, if the “Date From” is clicked, the list will be sorted by date.
- The Worklist can also be filtered. There is a drop down option to select Current Program Petition Approval or New Program Petition Approval. If you select blank, all petitions will appear (this is the default).
- Prioritizing the Worklist
- In the Priority column, you can select 1 - High, 2 - Medium, or 3 - Low, to prioritize petitions. As soon as you select a priority, the priority saves in your worklist.
Email generated by the automated grad auth are all variations of the following:
The following transaction is submitted to you for approval
Transaction ID: 00000000011
Originated on: 06/25/2009 2:36:20PM
Student: 05XXXXXX , Jane Stanford
Effective Quarter: 1102
Requested New Department: BIOL
Approver's Notes: Must see department first.
Top of Page
Tracking Your Grad Auths
Departments can track their grad auths in two ways:
The Graduate Program Authorization Petition Transaction Summary by Academic Organization Tableau report. This report allows department administrators to view all of their student grad auths (regardless of petition status) and offers dynamic search fields for the petition term, student ID#s, and approval actions. Departments may access the report here. Staff need to have the "Graduate and Professional" role for Tableau (enterprise reporting) in Authority Manager in order to access this report. Those missing the permission can work with their Dean to request access.
Worklist (Axess) The Worklist panel in Axess is where departments can go to view grad auth petitions that are pending their decision submission. Departments cannot see any grad auth petitions that have not yet been approved by the first required approver. Additionally, once the department submits a decision on a grad auth petition, the petition no longer shows up in the Worklist in Axess.
Top of Page
The submitted petition is electronically routed first to the current department, and then to the proposed department. If the current and proposed departments are the same, only one approval is required. International students’ requests are also routed to the Bechtel International Center for approval. An email is sent to the student upon every approval, and a final approval email is also sent.
- If the Grad Auth petition is approved: no additional action is needed from the student or department.
- If the petition is returned because more information is needed or the petition needs to be edited: the student can edit the petition in Axess and resubmit.
- If the petition is denied: the student is notified and no further changes can be made to the petition.
Effective Dating for Program Changes
If a student is approved to add a new program, the effective start date of that program will be the same date that the grad auth was approved. If the grad auth is for a future quarter, then the effective date of the new program will be the day after the term withdrawal deadline for the term the grad auth was submitted so that students are not assessed tuition for the current quarter.
If the student is approved to discontinue a program, the effective date will be the last day of that quarter (not the date that the grad auth was approved). This prevents courses from being inadvertently dropped. If a student is trying to apply for graduation and/or a special registration status, and has a pending a program addition or discontinuation for the same quarter, then they should submit a Request to Permanently Withdraw from Degree Program instead, to ensure the program discontinuation can take effect immediately.
An automated process runs biweekly to add milestones for programs added via the grad auth petition process. If you urgently need to update a milestone for a student, please contact Degree Progress. Otherwise, milestones are added every other week for newly added (by grad auth) programs.
Top of Page
Frequently Asked Questions
- When does a grad auth petition become available for a future quarter? Future quarters will only display if they are active in the system. Activation for a future quarter typically occurs 10 days before Axess opens for enrollment for that quarter. For example: if Axess opens for enrollment for Spring 17-18 on February 11, 2018, then the earliest a student could see Spring 17-18 as an option for 'effective term' for the graduate program authorization petition would be February 1, 2018.
- What happens if a student made an error on their petition? If the petition has not yet been approved by all required departments, then the department who currently has the petition in their worklist can cancel the petition. Cancelling should still allow students to resubmit a grad auth for the same quarter (without being assessed the grad auth fee). If the petition has been approved by all required departments, but was approved in error, then please contact the graduate degree progress specialist in the Registrar's Office.
- My student's grad auth petition was fully approved, but I don't see their milestones. What do I do? An automated process runs biweekly to add milestones for programs added via the grad auth petition process. If you urgently need to update a milestone for a student, please contact Degree Progress by submitting a Service Now ticket (there is an 'Inquire about student milestones' form specifically for this purpose). Otherwise, milestones are added every other week for newly added (by grad auth) programs.
- How do I request a grad auth fee waiver? By submitting the Waive Grad Auth Fee support request in Service Now.
Top of Page