Skip to content Skip to navigation

Incomplete Grades

The ‘I’ grade is restricted to cases in which the student has satisfactorily completed a substantial part of the course work. No credit will be given until the course is completed and a passing grade received. When a final grade is received, the initial ‘I’ notation is removed from the official transcript. A leave of absence does not stop the clock on the time limit for resolving incompletes. 

Students must request an incomplete grade by the last class meeting. Faculty may determine whether to grant the request or not. Faculty are free to determine the conditions under which the incomplete is made up, including setting a deadline of less than one year. Under no circumstances should a student re-enroll in a class to complete an 'I' grade. Enrolling in the class a second time invokes the repeat policy for courses that are not repeatable for credit.

In courses taken before 1994-95, satisfactory completion of the course work when an ‘I’ has been given is expected within a year from the date of the course’s final examination, but an alternate time limit may be set by the instructor. Students may petition that these courses with an ‘I’ grade be removed from their records.

In a course taken in 1994-95 or later, ‘I’ grades must be changed to a permanent notation or grade within a maximum of one year (i.e., prior to the first day of the fifth quarter which follows the course, including Summer Quarter). If an incomplete grade is not cleared at the end of one year, it is changed automatically by the Registrar’s Office to an ‘NP’ (not passed) or ‘NC’ (no credit) as appropriate for the grading method of the course.  

Graduate students with extenuating circumstances, that may warrant an exception to academic policy, should discuss the need for an extension to the time limit with their advisor and the course instructor. Students may request an extension of the deadline for resolving an incomplete by submitting the Enrollment Change Petition - GR.  Students must be in an active status to petition to extend an incomplete. If an incomplete lapses to and NC or NP and an extension is approved, the lapsed grade will remain until the student has submitted work and a final grade is provided by the instructor. 

Note:  Once an I grade lapses and depending on the repeatability set up of the course, students could be eligible for their NP to be replaced by the ‘RP’ notation.  Additional information on the Repeat Policy can be found at the Repeated Courses explanation.