Skip to content Skip to navigation

Repeated Courses

Students may not enroll in courses for credit for which they received either Advanced Placement or transfer credit.

Some Stanford courses may be repeated for credit; they are specifically noted in the Stanford Bulletin. Most courses may not be repeated for credit. Under the general University grading system, when a course which may not be repeated for credit is retaken by a student, the following special rules apply:

  • A student may retake any course on his or her transcript, regardless of grade earned, and have the original grade, for completed courses only, replaced by the notation ‘RP” (repeated course). When retaking a course, the student should enroll in it for the same number of units originally taken. When the grade for the second enrollment in the course has been reported, the units and grade points for the second course count in the cumulative grade point average in place of the grade and units for the first enrollment in the course. Because the notation ‘RP’ can only replace grades for completed courses, the notation 'W’ and 'I' are not replaced by the notation 'RP.'         

  • A student may not retake the same course for a third time unless s/he received a ‘NC’ (no credit) or ‘NP’ (not passed) when it was taken and completed the second time. When a student completes a course for the third time, grades and units for both the second and third completions count in the cumulative grade point average. The notation ‘W’ is not counted toward the three-retake maximum.

These policies reflect changes adopted by the faculty Senate on June 2, 1994.

Note:  Once an 'I' notation lapses to an 'NP' or is updated to a final grade by the instructor, it could be replaced by the 'RP' notation. If a student working to complete an 'I' notation enrolls in the class a second time, he/she could run the risk of having the incomplete excluded from the repeat process, eventually lapsing to an NP, and then frozen on the transcript upon degree conferral.  Additional informaiton on incomplete grades can be found on the Incomplete Grades page.

Questions on the Repeat Policy can be submitted via Service Request. Undergraduates who have questions related to enrolling in courses more than two times/related to requesting a second repeat of a course, should meet with an Academic Advisor in VPUE.