Skip to content Skip to navigation

Important Information Regarding COVID-19

For quickest response to an issue, please submit a ServiceNow Ticket to the Student Services Center. If you prefer to talk to an SSC Specialist, we offer advising sessions via Zoom by appointment. SSC specialists are also available for live chat from LiveChat Monday – Friday, 12:00 – 4:00 p.m. via the Service Now portal.

Latest information about the University's response to COVID-19 • Academic questions are extensively answered in the TeachAnywhere FAQ • Latest updates for: UndergraduatesGrad Students and Postdocs

See the Registrar's COVID-19 and Academic Continuity page for information for students, faculty, and staff relevant to classes and academic activities and administration. (updated May 21, 2020)


Terminal Graduate Registration (TGR) Status


Terminal Graduate Registration (TGR) Status

Doctoral students who have been admitted to candidacy, completed all required courses and degree requirements other than the University oral exam and dissertation, completed 135 units or 10.5 quarters of residency (if under the old residency policy), and submitted a Doctoral Dissertation Reading Committee form, may request Terminal Graduate Registration (TGR) status to complete their dissertation.

Students pursuing the Engineer degree may apply for TGR status after admission to candidacy, completion of all required courses, and completion of 90 units or six quarters of residency (if under the old residency policy).

Students enrolled in a master's programs with a required project or thesis may apply for TGR status upon completion of all required courses and completion of 45 units.

Students with more than one active graduate degree program must complete residency units between all active/completed degree programs in order to apply for TGR status. Please see the Minimum Residency Requirements for Graduate Degrees page for additional information.

TGR Final Registration Status

TGR Final Registration status may also be granted for one quarter to a graduate student who is returning after reinstatement, working on incomplete grades in their final quarter, or registering for one final term after all requirements are completed when Graduation Quarter is not available. TGR requirements above apply. Doctoral students under the term-based residency policy need nine quarters of residency to qualify for TGR Final Registration Status. 

For more information, see the Special Registration Statuses for Graduate & Professional Students page.


In order for a TGR status to be approved, students must meet all eligibility requirements by the Preliminary Study List deadline of the applicable term:

  • Must have met the residency requirement for all graduate programs in Active and Completed status. Please see the Minimum Residency Requirements for Graduate Degrees page for additional information regarding residency requirements. Please note that any outstanding units (ex: GNR grades) that are preventing a student from meeting their minimum residency requirement must be resolved prior to the deadline.
  • Must be enrolled in their designated TGR course: 801 (for master's and Engineer students) or 802 (for doctoral students) course in their department for zero units, in the appropriate section for their adviser. Instructions to enroll in TGR courses can be found here.

How to Apply

Students should submit the Terminal Graduate Registration (TGR) Request eForm by the Prelimiary Study List deadline of the applicabl term in order to be considered for TGR. Submit the eForm by logging in to Axess and selecting Student eForms from the mega menu. The eForm is then routed to all appropriate offices for approval and processing. 


TGR request eForm must be submitted by the Preliminary Study List deadline of the quarter the status is requested. If a TGR request is to be considered after the deadline and outside of the University policy (including late form submission, late course enrollment, and/or late resolution of outstanding grades/units), then the TGR status request form must be accompanied by late petition documentation. Late petitions must be submitted with all of the following: the late TGR form, a personal statement from the student explaining the situation and details of the request, and a letter of support from the department explaining why the request should be considered outside of University policy (i.e. after the deadline). Note: if the student was not enrolled in the TGR course prior to the Final Study List Deadline, then a completed Petition to Change Course Enrollment form must also be included with the late petition.

Once TGR Status is Approved

Once TGR status is approved, students are registered at a special tuition rate (please see the Tuition and Fees page for additional information regarding tuition rates). Students in TGR status enrolled in a course numbered 801 or 802 are certified as enrolled full time. TGR students must enroll in their designated TGR courses each term. TGR students are not required to enroll in the TGR course during the Summer Quarter (even if they plan on taking a course over the Summer) unless their department requires year-round enrollment, or if the student is on an approved research/teaching assistantship (please refer to the GAP for more information regarding Summer enrollment). 

TGR students may enroll in up to 3 units of course work per quarter at this tuition rate. The additional course work cannot be applied toward degree requirements since all degree requirements must be complete in order to enter TGR status.  TGR students who enroll in more than 3 units of coursework are assessed the per unit tuition rate for each additional unit.

See the Minimum Progress Requirements for Graduate Students of the Stanford Bulletin for information about satisfactory progress requirements for TGR students.

Enrolling in Designated TGR Courses

TGR students must enroll in their designated TGR courses each term in order to maintain their TGR status and tuition rate. See this guide on how to enroll in TGR coursesTGR students are not required to enroll in the TGR course during the Summer Quarter (even if they plan on taking a course over the Summer) unless their department requires year-round enrollment, or if the student is on an approved research/teaching assistantship (please refer to the GAP for more information regarding Summer enrollment). 

TGR During Summer Terms

Summer TGR full-time enrollment: In programs where the student is expected to engage full-time in academics and/or research during the summer, the student should enroll in the appropriate 801/802 TGR course and will be billed for the full TGR tuition. 

Summer TGR part-time enrollment: In programs where various levels of academic engagement are permitted during the summer, it is allowable for the TGR student to enroll on a unit-basis and to be billed for just those (1-2) units.  For example, if the student is required to participate in a summer program that is equivalent to about 30 hours and is not expected to have any further engagement, then enrolling in one unit is appropriate. Similarly, if the student has no academic requirements and simply wishes to enroll in a course of interest, then unit-based enrollment is appropriate.

Summer TGR Curricular Practical Training (CPT): When a TGR student engages in summer CPT, they must enroll for at least one unit in the designated CPT course and should not enroll in TGR or pay TGR tuition.  Bechtel International Center approves the student’s CPT request and notifies the Registrar’s Office, who then temporarily deactivates the TGR tuition group for tuition

Requesting TGR Reinstatement

Students who wish to reactivate their TGR status (after initial approval) due to any of the below circumstances, may request to do so by having their Department Student Services Officer (SSO) submit a support request via Service Now 

  • Going on an approved Grad Quarter status, then not graduating
  • Applying to graduate while on TGR, then submitting a withdrawal of an application to graduate
  • Going on a temporary CPT status

TGR Grades

An 'N' grade signifying satisfactory progress must be received each quarter to maintain registration privileges. An 'N-' grade indicates unsatisfactory progress. The first 'N-' grade constitutes a warning. A second consecutive 'N-' grade normally causes the department to deny the student further registration until a written plan for completion of degree requirements has been approved by the department. Subsequent 'N-' grades are grounds for dismissal from the program.