Skip to content Skip to navigation

International Course Work

For students requesting transfer credit for courses taken outside of the United States, certain information must be provided in order for an evaluation to be completed and any eligible credit to be awarded: 

  • Course syllabi for all requested courses

  • Level of course work (transfer credit can only be awarded for courses that are equivalent to undergraduate level work)

  • The institution's grading scale / system. Note: if a course has a 'P' or 'Pass' grade listed, then the grading scale must explicitly state what the minimum grade is to earn a passing grade. Pass grades are accepted only for courses for which the standard of passing is 'C-' (or better) quality work.

  • The minimum number of credits required to complete the undergraduate program at the institution (this must be from an official source, such as a course catalog)

Occasionally, this information (except for the course syllabi) is included with the official transcript. However, if it is not, students are strongly encouraged to purchase a third-party, course-by-course international transcript translation and evaluation service, as most of these services include all of the abovementioned information. Some examples of these services are:

See the Stanford Bulletin for the complete policy.