Skip to content Skip to navigation

Undergraduate Minors

Choosing a Minor

You are asked to declare any minor no later than the deadline for your application to graduate, according to declaration procedures developed and monitored by the Office of the University Registrar. Even after this point, you may change or drop your minor if your interests shift.

Declaring a Minor

If you want to declare a minor, log on to Axess. Submit a request to the department in which you want to pursue a minor. The department informs you of their decision whether to accept you into the minor. You should contact the department directly to determine if any other requirements must be fulfilled to process your minor declaration request.

The decision on a minor is important, but not irrevocable. You may change your minor at any time by declaring a new minor, or dropping your existing one, in Axess.

Special Requirements for Students Pursuing Minors

Students may not overlap ("double-count") courses for completing multiple major and/or minor requirements, unless:

  1. Overlapping courses constitute introductory skill requirements (for example, introductory math or a foreign language), such that the introductory course acts a pre-requisite for further mastery in the subject, the introductory course is broadly accessible and does not require a pre-requisite for enrollment; or
  2. Overlapping courses enable the student to meet school requirements (for example, for a major within the School of Engineering and a minor within or outside of the School of Engineering). Currently, only the School of Engineering has school requirements for its undergraduate majors.

If you are pursuing a minor you must complete a Major-Minor and Multiple Major Course Approval Form through the eForms portal via Axess. indicating which courses you plan to apply toward each major and any minor(s). Departments must certify that the plan of study meets all requirements for the majors and any minor(s) without unallowable overlaps in course work.

  • This form must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar by the application to graduate deadline for the term in which the student intends to graduate.

If you cannot meet the requirements of major(s) and minor(s) without overlaps, you may be required to change your major(s) and or minor(s) to facilitate graduation. Consult the Office of the University Registrar for additional information.