Skip to content Skip to navigation

Important Information Regarding COVID-19

See the Registrar's COVID-19 and Academic Continuity page for information for students, faculty, and staff relevant to classes and academic activities and administration. (updated August 21, 2020)

Undergraduate Probation

What does probation mean?

Probation is intended as a warning. If you

  • do not complete at least 9 units in any given quarter (incomplete courses are often a problem); and/or
  • do not complete at least 36 units in your most recent three quarters of enrollment (again, incomplete courses are often a problem); and/or
  • do not maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.

If you are placed on probation, you will receive a letter from Academic Advising regarding your status. A copy of the letter will also be sent to your academic adviser or major department.

Your probation status will be notated on your unofficial transcript. However, probation status is not noted on your official University transcript.

What do I have to do?

You should arrange to meet with the professional advisers at Academic Advising: Sweet Hall, First Floor;; 650-723-2426. Other resources include:

You will remain on probation for your next three consecutive quarters of enrollment. If you are away from Stanford on an official leave of absence or another reason for any one of those quarters, your three consecutive quarters of probation will begin again upon your return to Stanford.

In each quarter that you are on probation, you are required to:

  • successfully complete at least 12 units of new course work (incomplete courses are not considered successfully completed) by the end of the examination period; and

  • successfully complete at least 36 units of new course work in your most recent three quarters of enrollment; and

  • maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.

In addition, during your first quarter on probation you are required to meet with a professional adviser at Academic Advising to review your academic experiences and map out your academic plans. You may schedule an appointment with a Academic Adviser online, or by visiting their office in Sweet Hall, first floor, or by calling (650) 723-2426.

If you complete these requirements, at the end of the three quarters you will be removed from probation.

If you are unable to meet the minimum progress requirements for students on probation, you may be placed on provisional registration or suspended.